Is There Really A Job for 14 Year Olds?
14 years of age can work in a variety of non-manufacturing and non-hazardous jobs. You can work in retail, food service, or recreational park. Here are some jobs 14 year olds can apply:
- Grocery Clerk
Job Duties: Unload product off of the truck to be stocked on shelves. Cashier duties include checking out customers and operating a POS (Point of Sale) system.
Job Duties: Responsible for creating an enjoyable dining experience for residents and their guests.
- Team / Crew Member
Job Duties: Greeting customers with a smile. Taking accurate food orders. Ensuring items are well stocked. Maintain restaurant cleanliness.
- Soccer Assistant Referee
Job Duties: Under the direction of the Sports Director, the Soccer Assistant Official is responsible for the implementation of all league rules and by laws.
- Ski Instructor
Job Duties: Dressing and undressing children for the outside ski program. Assist children to and from lesson areas. Implement good ski instruction to children.
There are still many other jobs you can do such as sitter, gate guard, dining room server, etc.
How Many Hours Can A 14 Year Old Work?
According to The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), 14 is the minimum age which teenagers are allowed to work, but limited by work types and hours:
- On a school day you may work outside school hours up to 3 hours per day and 18 hours per week, including Friday
- When school is not in session you may work up to 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week
- You may only work between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (except from June 1st through Labor Day you can work until 9 p.m.)
Who/What Companies Hires 14 Year Olds?
- McDonald’s – Offers employment opportunities to students, with the proper working papers
- Runza – Applicants will be selected solely on legitimate qualifications without regard to age
- Family Express – Most positions are initially part-time
- Chick-fil-A – Their restaurant owners began their careers with Chick-fil-A as high school team members
Companies Hiring 14 Year Olds