About the job: Roofers take care of the roofs of our houses and establishments. This job is 11% faster in terms of job outlook. It is a job that requires too much body movements as roofers do fix the roofs.
Where will you work: Since the task is to replace, repair, and install roofs of buildings, roofers usually work at the high areas of the establishments or houses. Prepare for the many “greater heights” as you will be working on top of places, literally.
What will you do: roofers usually do the following:
- Check if the roofs have problems and identify how it is best to be repaired
- Check the measurement of roofs and other needed materials
- Repair the plywood
- Put the layers of insulation
- Put the ventilation system
- Put other materials in making the roof weatherproof
- Cut materials in order for the roof to fit vents or other parts of the wall
- Prevent leakage of the roof
How to Become a Roofer: On the job training helps prospective applicant become hired especially of he become knowledgeable about the tools, equipment, machines, and materials about roofing. Usually, it takes 2 to 3 months for all the necessary parts of roofing to be learned by applicants.
Job skills / requirements: To become a roofer, one must have the following aside from what was mentioned above:
- Being able to balance on the roof
- Knowledgeable in using roofing tools and equipment
- Not afraid of heights
Minimum age: The minimum age is 18 years old.
Expected wage: The pay is roughly $19.22 per hour
Similar name: carpenters
Related jobs: carpenters; insulation workers; solar photovoltaic installers, masonry workers, construction laborers and helpers; drywall and ceiling tile installers, and tapers; flooring installers and tile and marble setters
O-NET Online Reference
47-2181.00 – Roofers