About the job: Masons or masonry workers are builders of bricks, concrete blocks, and other masonry structures. Most jobs from this are on full-time basis. This job grows 12 percent as projected.
Where will you work:Masons work at construction sites, houses, buildings, and other infrastructures where masonry structures are found or will be built.
What will you do: Usually, masons have many responsibilities, and some are the following:
- Look at the blueprints or drawings to estimate the needed materials
- Put the patterns, forms, or foundations based on the plans
- Break or cut materials according to the needed size
- Mix grout or mortar and spread it onto a foundation or slab
- Using levels and plumbs, Make vertical and horizontal alignment of structures
- Using hand or power tools, clean and polish the surfaces
How to Become a Mason: High school diploma is usually required for masons. Training about being a mason is needed in order to understand what a mason does.
Job skills / requirements: The following training are highly needed (or deemed advantageous) aside from being physical fit:
- Reading a blueprint
- Basics on construction
- Requirements for building code
- First aid
Minimum age: The minimum age is 18 years old.
Expected wage: The pay is roughly $ 21.54 per hour
Similar name: Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
Related jobs: Carpenters; Glaziers; Construction Laborers and Helpers; Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers, and Tapers; Insulation Workers; Ironworkers; Flooring Installers and Tile and Marble Setters
Find Brickmason Jobs for Teens
O-NET Online Reference
47-2051.00 – Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers