Why Teens Working at Moving Company?
As a teen, it can be frustrating having to ask your parents or older siblings for some money all the time. If you are tired of using someone else’s money and want to use your own money, you need to consider working for a moving service. It will allow you to earn a decent pocket money to afford a good lifestyle. The fact is that many teens are already working as a mover. Hence, you should consider giving it a try. This post shares all the information you need about jobs for teens at moving services. Let’s dive in.
Duties and Responsibilities
When you work at a moving company, you will need to help customers with moving their belongings. You must help prepare their items for transportation. As a mover, you will work for a specific moving company in a certain area. Chances are that you will work with a team of helpers. All you need to do is prepare, load, and unload items.
If you like to drive, you can consider working as the truck driver. However, you should keep in mind that the job is physically demanding as it involves heavy lighting and working during the night or weekends. In addition to this, you also need to take inventory, handle customer requests, and perform maintenance tasks such as cleaning.
Skills and Qualifications
To work at a moving service, you need to have knowledge of proper packaging, loading, and unloading. In addition to this, you need to have an attention to detail. A high school education is compulsory for getting the job. Driving skills might also be required. Generally, you should meet the following requirements to get hired.
- Physical Ability: Be physically fit to lift, load, and unload heavy items and boxes.
- Strong Customer Service Skills: Have a knack for customer service and respond to customer requests with ease. You will also need to know how to defuse a stressful situation.
- Teamwork: Be able to work together with a team to complete the assignment.
- Organization Skills: In addition to the above, you require organization skills to plan the packing, loading, and unloading to meet deadlines.
- Communication Skills: Have the communication skills to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to keep work going.
Education and Training
As mentioned above, to get a job as a mover, you must have a high school graduate and be at least 18 years of age. A valid driver’s license might also be required. The moving company will provide on-the-job training for a few days to prepare new recruits for the job. The training will allow you to learn how to use moving equipment and ensure that items are protected at all times.
How Much Do Teens Make Working in Moving Companies?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), movers can expect to earn around $27,000 a year. The highest-earning movers earn more than $44,000 a year. The BLS predicts that the demand for movers will continue to grow through 2026.