About the job: Waiters or Waitresses are restaurant or any dining facility server. They serve food to the customers. This job requires shorter training compared to other jobs. Also, it has many part-time job offers, so you can choose to work at morning or at night.
Where will you work: Waiters or Waitresses usually work in restaurant and other areas or places where food is being served.
What will you do: More often than not, the following are the responsibilities of waiters and waitresses:
- Greet guests, assist the customers to their tables, provide the menu, and explain the best food offered by the establishment
- Assist the customers with regard to choosing food
- Take the order
- Inform the kitchen staff about the order
- Prepare the drink and serve the food and drink to the customer
- Clean the table
- Collect the payment from the customer
- Prepare dining areas
- Oversee the needed condiments
How to Become a Waiter or Waitress:
No formal education required generally. Some states require you to have food handler card or certification.
Job skills / requirements: In order to become a good waiter, you should be:
- Healthy and strong as the job requires carrying trays with food and drink
- Alert in terms of the needs and other things that are going on in the restaurant
- Particular with details
Industry: food service
Minimum age: The minimum age is 16 or 18 years old.
Expected wage: The pay is roughly $10.47 per hour
Similar name: service crew, food server
Related jobs: bartender, cashiers, flight attendant, food service managers, food and beverage serving and related workers, food service managers, retail sales workers
O-NET Online Reference
35-3031.00 – Waiters and Waitresses