About the job: Overall employment of retail sales workers is projected to grow 2 percent from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations. However, turnover is high among retail salespersons, which means there will be a large number of job openings. This, combined with the large size of this occupation, should result in good job prospects for qualified workers.
Where will you work: At retail stores or auto car dealers
What will you do: Retail sales workers help customers find products they want and process customers’ payments. There are two types of retail sales workers: retail salespersons, who sell retail merchandise, such as clothing, furniture, and automobiles; and parts salespersons, who sell spare and replacement parts and equipment, especially car parts
How to Become A Sales Associate: Typically, there are no formal education requirements for retail sales workers. Most receive on-the-job training, which usually lasts a few days to a few months.
Although retail or parts sales positions usually have no formal education requirements, some employers prefer applicants who have a high school diploma or equivalent, especially employers who sell technical products or “big-ticket” items, such as electronics or cars.
Job skills / requirements:
- Customer-service skills. Retail sales workers must be responsive to the wants and needs of customers. They should explain the product options available to customers and make appropriate recommendations.
- Interpersonal skills. A friendly and outgoing personality is important for these workers because the job requires almost constant interaction with people.
- Math skills. Retail sales workers must have the ability to calculate price totals, discounts, and change owed to customers.
- Persistence. A large number of attempted sales may not be successful, so sales workers should not be discouraged easily. They must start each new sales attempt with a positive attitude.
- Selling skills. Retail sales workers must be persuasive when interacting with customers. They must clearly and effectively explain the benefits of the merchandise.
Industry: Customer service, retail
Minimum age: Generally 16+
Expected wage: $14 / hour.
Similar name: Sales Representative, Sales Person, Sales Clerk, Customer Assistant
Related jobs: Cashier, Customer Service Representative