Seattle Youth Employment Program School-Year Program Fall 2020
The Seattle Youth Employment Program (SYEP) supports young people (ages 16 to 24) from qualifying-income households and communities that experience racial, social, and economic disparities. The goal is to increase youth and young adults' ability to pursue careers that pay well and are meaningful to them.
School-Year is October 27, 2020 - April 29, 2021
Beginning in fall 2020, SYEP will launch the school-year virtual learning program in compliance with the Seattle & King County Public Health COVID-19 guidelines. In-person programming will resume once the guidelines are lifted. Applications are now open and close on September 30, 2020. Due to high demand, only new applicants who have never participated in Seattle Youth Employment Program will be eligible.
Here is what the program will look like:
- 200 youth and young adults, ages 16 to 24, will be selected by lottery to participate.
- Those selected will participate in virtual (during COVID) career readiness learning activities,
meeting one-on-one and in group settings with assigned counselor and peers.
- The school-year program will be for the fall, winter, and spring quarters. Each quarter lasts six
weeks and consists of 15 participation hours.
- Each participant will receive a $300 stipend per quarter after successful completion of required
hours for a total of $900 in stipends for the full school-year program.
- To qualify for the $300 stipend per quarter, you must complete 80% (12 hours) of the total program
hours per quarter.
To be eligible for SYEP, young people must:
- be between the ages of 16 and 24 years old on October 27, 2020.
- live within the Seattle city limits.
- live in a household with income at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI). See AMI table to the
Due to high demand, 200 participants will be selected for the school-year program. Only eligible applications received by September 30, 2020, 5:00 pm, will be entered into a lottery. You will be notified of the results of the lottery -- whether you are accepted or declined. Lottery notifications will be sent by email during the week of October 5, 2020.
Upon successful completion of the eligibility process, all selected applicants will be notified by email - and invited to virtual orientation on October 27, 2020.