2020 Pōhai Maile Internship Program
The Pōhai Maile Internship Program
June 22-July 10, 2020
If you decide to pursue an internship position with us, you will need to submit your completed application by email no later than March 31, 2020.
The Pōhai Maile Internship is a three-week program designed for high school students to learn about the National Park system, its efforts to protect natural, cultural, and historical resources, and potential careers. The program offers interns a chance to work alongside park professionals in various programs, including Resources Management, Interpretation, and Facilities Management.
Pōhai Maile is one of four internship programs at Haleakalā National Park. Others include Kupukupu ‘Āina for middle school students, ‘Imi I Ka Lama for college students, and E Ola Koa for recent graduates.
Applicant must be:
- A Hawai‘i resident
- Currently enrolled in a Hawai‘i high school as a student from grades 9-12
- Available full-time between June 22-July 10, 2020 (7:30 a.m.– 4:00 p.m.) plus travel time.
- Able to provide own daily transportation to and from designated pick-up sites at the War Memorial
Stadium in Wailuku or Eddie Tam Gym in Makawao. Free transportation to and from these sites will
be provided by the park.
- Able to attend internship orientation with parent/guardians on June 18, 2020 (5:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.).
- Able and prepared to work outdoors at sea level and at elevations between 7,000-10,000 feet in
varying weather conditions.
- Able and willing to hike daily over rough and uneven terrain and participate in backcountry and
multi-day trips on Maui.
- Able to provide own accommodations – Park housing is NOT available
Questions, contact Honeygirl Duman at (808) 572-4455 or e-mail us